Friday, January 23, 2009

Cluster Theory in Humans

Segregation is a naturally occurring phenomenon.
From the smallest germs and bacteria to the largest solar systems and galaxies (and some would say universes) - the segregation of matter takes place (sometimes) without each entity having any idea that the action is occurring.

Fish have schools,
Birds have flocks (or gaggles of geese, when not in flight),
Lions have prides,
Many animals have herds,
Predatory animals have packs (but so do predatory humans, as in; a pack of thieves).

Plants are indigenous to certain areas.
Even when transplanted - they thrive in some areas but struggle in others.
As with most beings, their segregation tends toward survival.

The gasses and solids of the universe cluster to form planets, moons, asteroids and stars.
These cluster to form solar systems, galaxies, etc. .

Humans segregate into families, tribes and nations.
Even more segregation takes place when we segregate by;
religion (and denominations), economic status , social status and race.
Of these, only race (or one's perceived race) is the only trait one has no control over.
But even with "Race' - they're are divisions based upon color, weight and appearance.
It seems that we are always inventing a new type of Caste System whenever someone makes the leap from from one group to the next (or is able to Code-Switch at will).

Even on the Internet, we segregate into cliques who share the same views or interests as ourselves.
But if we're not teaching or learning, what's the good in that?

I never intended to blog about race (or the problems between races).
But since moving to the South - it's been something that I've been inundated with on a daily basis.
Maybe it's the residual resentment from the recent (and in some cases... current) scars of Segregation.

But what got me thinking about one's desire to segregate was a recent conversation with a dope-boy in the 'hood.
"You don't belong hurr (here)" was his remark, upon seeing me talking to some acquaintances on the block.
"Nobody does", I replied.
"I do! I'm from hurr!", he replied.
"Maybe YOU do", I said.

At this time, one of the kings of the block stepped in to give me a pound (Obama-type fist pound - not a pound of any illegal substance).
That signaled an end to any discord.
If I was cool with him, I was cool with all.

"Big Blue" (an almost reformed felon) asked why I keep trying with some people.
Sometimes I ask myself the same question.
But maybe some of these people just need a guide to help them out of their chosen lifestyles.
At least the kids would be better served by better examples of what it takes to get ahead in life.
I'm no saint. I may even be reprobate.
But I don't want anyone to go where I deserve to be.

The thing is; one's limitations are usually self-imposed.
External conditions have less of an impact on any given outcome than do our choices and our preparation.

Earlier, I postulated that being mixed-race may offer a better opportunity to see the world as more than the world's definition of what is expected of each of us.
But this theory was quickly proven to be ignorant- just by looking at my own siblings.
They're (roughly) the same racial background as me, but with different outcomes.

Maybe it was money or access to resources.
Nah.... there are too many people who waste their families resources trying to emulate a lifestyle that most would hope to avoid.

Maybe it was the parents.
Maybe..., but I had the same upbringing as my brothers.
Or family dynamics (or birth order).
Maybe..., I was given more responsibility than my brothers.

Predisposition?
Maybe..., it could be genetic.
Maybe even racial differences cause many to react to the same situation in different ways.
But then are those who break these norms to be considered as anomalous?
Do they have some sort of ailment that causes them to act in a way that is different from their pre-supposed way of acting (or being)?
Is their being different contrary to a natural desire or need to fit in with the herd?
Does their being different offer less safety and less of a chance to reproduce?

Segregating by race may cause us to have lower standards.
Being the best White, Black, Asian or Hispanic person doesn't necessarily make us the best person for any given task, job or position.
All great cultures thrived by learning from the best of the other cultures and assimilating those traits (or knowledge or skill) into their own.


If America issued a formal apology - would we accept it?
Would we forgive them and then have everything be alright?
Why do many of us need someone else to say "it's alright" for us to do well?
So to the people stuck on a "Race-Only" criteria.
Pa-lease.
WE have bigger things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment