Friday, August 28, 2009

Appendix



A few months ago, I was having pains in my lower abdominal area. At first, I though I had done too many crunches or that I lifted something with the wrong posture. But this was like no pain I had ever felt before. After a couple of days, I asked my doctor neighbor what the pain could be. He felt around and surmised that I needed to get to the hospital as soon as possible and that he thought that I could need an appendectomy.

Whoa... hold them horses. I hate being cut on. I looked up information concerning the appendix on the Internet and discovered that most in the medical community had no idea what purpose the appendix held nor the causes of inflammation.

Immediately, I started a regimen of fruit juice, activated charcoal tablets and yogurt (with active yeast cultures) in an effort to stabilize my dietary system. I switched from the occasional (Well, since being in the South - more than occasional) high fat/high calorie diet (links, ribs, fried everything, smothered everything else) of my current locale back to the healthier diet of my Cali. days. A huge salad every morning for breakfast, a small portion of chicken or fish and fresh veggies for lunch, another huge salad for dinner, and fruit, nuts or yogurt for snacks.

After about two weeks, I was fine. But what if I had listened to the initial reaction from my neighbor (and subsequent advice from other nurse neighbors)? I would be without an appendix. Now there is a story saying that the appendix does have a use; http://news.aol.com/health/article/researchers-say-appendix-has-uses/637211

Maybe we each need to do our own research before taking the word of someone whose livelihood depends on us being ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment