Friday, February 6, 2009

I'm Not A Victim

Indra Maghavan Writes, in response to me thinking that it's natural for some young white children to think being Black is cool - "Not to mention the brainwashing the poor kid is exposed to in school..."

@ Indra - But if the child from the superior white race can be so easily influenced by popular culture - even though they're are constantly bombarded by images that re-enforce the validity of his own culture -how is the negative influence of a minority's environment, family and the media so easily discounted?
Shouldn't the higher IQ having white kid be smart enough to realize that being Black is beneath him and is something to be avoided?
Or are you of the belief that one's environment can have the same impact as genetics?

brohammas Writes (but with a different intent on another post) - "... it would be akin to a white guy walking up to a black guy on the street and punching him in the nose..."

@ brohammas - I understand what you're saying.

But to give a different view;
I had a tenant who was always spending his money on crack and the local working girls.
He had a girlfriend and two children at home.
I would always stop by to drop off diapers and formula for the kids.
He got mad because he thought that me helping the kids was somehow taking from his manhood, or that I was trying to get with his girlfriend.
He told everyone on the block that he was going to shoot me.
He would always talk about how he was a Blood and how "hard" he was.
Upon hearing about such talk, I went to his (my) house and knocked on the door to have a discussion. (No, I'm not a thug or a "G", I'm just a regular guy.)
He stuttered, stammered and changed his story.
Was I a shooting victim? Nope.
His intent was to harm me, but he lacked enough skills (or real desire) to do so.
My response is to be/do better than anyone who would imagine to do me any harm.
If the choice is between victim and victor - I choose victor.

I would prefer to get everyone else to that level - not to join in the hand-holding Kumbaya singing hope that someone else will solve our problems.

"But UBJ, not everyone is capable of digging themselves out from their situation", some might say.
But that's why I'd like to see the intent of programs like Affirmative Action be to raise the level of those seeking to participate in any institution - instead of lowering the level required to be admitted.

"But UBJ, white women are the biggest benefactors of AA", others might quip.
Okay, that's nice.
But what does that have to do with getting more Blacks prepared to compete on the next level?

Since the biggest difference between success and failure is usually psychological - changing our mentality and motivations are what will determine our condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment