Sunday, June 21, 2009

Most Religious Non-Religious Songs

1 - Public Enemy Show Em What Ya Got (It doesn't sing of begging for respect or approval - but of doing what you do and letting others marvel at your abilities.)
2- Sam Cooke A Change Is Gonna Come (Sometimes you're not in the mood to fight. Sometimes you just have enough energy to hope.)
3 - L.L. Cool J. Mama Said Knock You Out (Again... Just say "Effum" and keep on going.)
4 - Ben E King Stand By Me (Nothing beats a good friend in a time of need.)
5 - M People - Always (A nice little dance ditty. I like the hook. I like the commitment of "Always" instead of "Only when things are going well".)

Since the intent of Gospel music is to inspire - My Gospel may be different from your Gospel.
If music is prayer to one's god (or God) - one's choice of music determines one's god.
If music can produce an emotional response - this emotional response produces a physical response.
If one's choice is songs of sex, money and murder - these become one's gods.
If one chooses power, faith and justice - the same rules apply.
If one chooses love - love becomes the god being serenaded.


I hate traditional Gospel - It fails to inspire me.
Sure I could have included many more songs to the list - most songs by Rage Against the Machine come to mind - but I wanted to be somewhat concise.
I had to create my own mental soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment