Friday, December 18, 2009

D'oh!

I'm easily embarrassed.
No, not for things like tripping on a crack in the sidewalk, or cutting a fart in public, or ripping the seat of my pants, or even for being wrong in my opinions.
I can always just get up and keep walking.
Farts happen ("Sharts" are another story).
Pants can be replaced or sewn.
And my opinions are usually not fully formed.

But I'm easily embarrassed by adulation - I know that I'm not all that.
But awards and honors make me uncomfortable.
Why should I receive an award for doing my best?
Isn't that what we are all supposed to do?
Why should I receive an award because my easy effort is viewed as more valuable than someone else's hard fought effort?
Is my taking it easy better than someone else's growth?
Awards tend to remind me that I'm not perfect and I view any such award as my buying into a lie.
And for me, telling a lie is embarrassing.

But different people tend to have different values.
For some, an unearned award (or reward) is seen as a validation of their thinking or actions.
For some, something as simple as, their hair not being freshly cut is a reason for them to miss school.
For some, not knowing is viewed as being dumb.
For some, what others may think is their very reason for being.

Some people value character while others value appearance.
Q; Can we judge a person's character by that which they are embarrassed?

No comments:

Post a Comment