Monday, May 3, 2010

"We Didn't Cross The Border..."

Bullshigiddy!!!
I always thought that Sandra Bullock was Mexican.
If not, at least Hispanic.
It just seemed likely because Ms Bullock is often a prominant topic of the Hispanic media.
I was at Rippa's site and commented that I thought as much, at which point I was summarily corrected.
Someone pointed out that Ms Bullock was of German and Euro-American descent.
But what the heck is "Euro-American"?
Do those from the Iberian Penninsula count?
If Ms Bullock's father was Spanish - wouldn't Ms Bullock still be Hispanic?
But this post is not about Ms Bullock and her current situations.
This post questions, "What is a Mexican?".
Most of those of Central American descent claim that America belongs to them by right.
That Europeans took away their land by violence or had it given away by treaties such as the Gadsden.
But this is not true.
America was once made up of different tribes who spoke different languages, practiced different traditions and who had different cultures.
Is an Aztec or a Toltec the same as a Pueblo or Commanche?
Is an Englishman the same as an Italian?
Is a Chinese man the same as a Japanese man?
Is a Berber the same as an Yoruba?
Most of those who wish to immigrate to the United States are the Indios (Native Indian) or the darker of the Mestizos (Mixed Race).
Those who look like Salma are members of Mexico's elite castes.
A while ago - I had a conversation with a proponent of a Mexican White Power group.
Apparently, even Mexico doesn't want it's indigenous peoples.
http://uglyblackjohn.blogspot.com/2008/06/i-am-what-i-am-pop-eye.html
Okay, okay... that came from a member of a racist group.
But let's take a look at what a Latino source has to say:
Odd that Mexico has the nerve to chastise American policies when their own policies against those from south of their border are even more restrictive.
But this is nothing new.
When a message cannot be conveyed by claiming Mexican ownership of the Southwest...
Just change the story or flag to suit ones own needs.
Personally, I'm in favor of a more strict interpretation of our current immigration laws.
Breaking up the families who crossed the border by choice illegally (Hispanics/Latinos) is not the same as breaking up the families of those who were brought here by force (Slaves).
I don't equate one with the other.
I know, I know...
I'm a quarter Native American and a quarter Mexican (Mestizo) and I should see this fight over immigration reform as my own.
But I don't.
I have my tribal papers.
My Mexican-American ancestors were here legally.
My family didn't sneak across the border, knowing it was wrong, in the hopes of never being caught.
You see...
This is my point of view - you gambled and you lost, now pay the costs.
If your child was born here - he is an American citizen.
If you sneaked into the country - you are not an American citizen.
If you wish to leave your children behind with friends or relatives in order to take advantage of a better quality of life - that's his right.
If you wish to stay behind because you had a child within the borders of a country to which you did not belong - kick rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment