Saturday, December 13, 2008

Take Out The Trash

I know all the hookers;
Lil Red, Big Draws Kim, Chilly Lilly, Julia, Liz, 2-40 Shorty... .
(No, not in the Biblical sense.)

Along with our recent snow came weather cold enough to break my main water line.
I had to go to the hood to bathe and (well you know).
When some of the residents saw that I was at one of my vacant houses, many came over for a visit. I asked how they were dealing with the cold and how their Christmases were going.
The conversation turned from Jessie James' (a local hustler - I had to drop a little change on the brother, his injuries prevented him from "working".) recent shooting to Obama and the current state of our economy.
Some of the working girls told me that they're business is still strong.
Some of the ballers said the same.
I guess sin is profitable in any environment.
Many seemed to think that Obama is going to change things for them.
When I explained that he wouldn't have a direct impact on their livelihoods, they were a bit confused.

This is why I blog. I need help in gaining new ideas that work in translating a mind-set of accomplishment to an undeserved population.
How do I best impart knowledge on a group who seem to have no desire to learn?
What knowledge or skills would best serve those who seem to have none?

A recent article in the USA Today put forth the hypothesis that poverty breeds low I.Q.s.
The article cited influences from toxic environments and stress to poor diets.
(Have you ever noticed how so many poor people seem to be fat? Most of the poor fill up on high sodium pre-packaged foods and high-carb snack foods. )
This would seem to be the cycle of those I was dealing with.
Add to all of these social and environmental influences the mating of two people who already share these same perceived low I.Q.s.

But what can we do with these people?
Let's put them all in some sort of dump.
Let's treat them like trash.
Prison? Sure, why not. These people can't function in an environment that is helpful to the overall improvement of society, let's just lock them up in a controlled environment.
Or maybe we can just put them all "over there" in the hood.
Even when a glistening new complex is built to house these people, they revert back to the ghetto mentality.
But the problem is that the new buildings don't translate to a new way of thinking, and in turn, a new way of being.
Sure, the same people who seem to revert back to ghetto by default are mostly to blame.
But maybe these people learn differently. (My earlier citation about the early Rockefeller Foundation's goals would seem to suggest a eugenic/genetic plan to keep everyone in their place.)
How do we stop the practice of "ghetto by default"?
Or is there even a need?

No comments:

Post a Comment