Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Revision of your Breast Implant Surgery can bring Positive Change

Because I completed a fellowship (an additional year of training after core residency training, in some sub-specialty) in advanced breast surgery techniques, I see between 10 and 20 pairs of breasts a day. In the course of this experience, I have learned a great deal from my patients...

I have learned that what is a pleasing and fulfilling surgical outcome to one woman may not be to another. Indeed, often in the same day I will meet a patient who wants her D cup breasts reduced to B's, and 60 minutes later a woman who wants to trade her B's for D's. 

It's not for me to judge what is best for any individual- provided their goals are safe and reasonable.

I have learned that (for the most part) men and women have much different views on what constitutes a "natural looking" breast (no surprise there).

I have learned that when most women feel beautiful they are more engaged, self-confident, and outwardly beautiful to their friends, colleagues and the casual observer. I also believe (and have been told by patients) they are more energetic and ultimately successful, although this would be impossible to measure.


I have also learned that when women experience a poor outcome, they are amazing in their capacity to accept deformity. The patient in this photo had been living with this outcome for years before finally doing the research it took her to find me and have it corrected to this:


And that's why I am so passionate about educating patients to make the very best decision they can in choosing who does surgery on you. Even of you don't come to me (I say), please, please PLEASE investigate your surgeon's education, training, credentials, and OUTCOMES thoroughly and with a critical mind... If there is anything worse than not being happy with yourself, it would have to be having surgery, spending money, going through a recovery, and STILL not being happy with yourself.

It is simply not reasonable to expect all plastic surgeons to be created equally- human beings are variable in every way, medical schools vary in quality and the experiences provided, as do residency training programs.

Because so many women unfortunately make poor decisions, based on all of the wrong criteria (like price) there are an amazing number of really funny looking breasts out there. And here's the thing- after having the surgery, there's an Emperor's New Clothes kind of phenomenon that often occurs, where the patient expresses concern over their outcome to their surgeon and he/she tells them that their concern is unfounded and the outcome is the best that could have been achieved.

To be fair, this is sometimes the case. But often it is not, and the only reason the breasts could not be more attractive in the opinion of the patient's surgeon is because he/she simply does not have the understanding necessary to create the positive change the patient wants. And so most of these women, not wanting to be complainers, or just because they don't know better, tolerate the problems with their breast contour- sometimes for many years, before finding someone like me and pursuing the change they wanted in the first place.

Revision of less than ideal breast implant outcomes is very common in my practice, and I am very proud of the appearance we are able to achieve for our patients (many of whom as I say, have had problematic experiences in plastic surgery before coming), but even more of the positive effect this then has on their sense of happiness and well-being.

I guess the take home message would be that you should minimize your risks of feeling dissatisfied with your surgery by making smart decisions in the first place, but if you do end up with breasts you are not happy with- know that improvement or correction is possible.


Visit Us:







Follow Us!


No comments:

Post a Comment