Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Smart Lipo Story...

For a few years now, Board Certified Plastic Surgeons like myself have had patients come to us with the most horrific contour deformities resulting from (it seems without exception) Smart Lipo.. Also without exception, these procedures seem to always have been performed by a doctor who is not a plastic surgeon.

The tragic detail of these stories has always been that patients who make the unfortunate decision to allow a gynecologist, ER doctor or eye doctor (these types of doctors are all doing liposuction in Orlando) perform liposuction on them are always so embarrassed by their poor decision after they suffer the injury and deformity that they NEVER want their story told...

So these poorly trained "providers" of aesthetic surgery are allowed to continue to produce injuries and poor outcomes....

Today, I am very happy to have received and be posting a testimonial from a patient who had what I know to be a relatively common experience.

I will be making comments and providing explanation in a subsequent posting.

Here's her story...


Like many women, I had been uncomfortable with the shape of my legs for quite some time.  

Despite my self-consciousness, I never really entertained the thought of liposuction, until I saw an ad for SmartLipo promising a toned figure, and a perfect shape - without anesthesia or downtime. Sounds great, right?  

What I didn’t understand at the time was just how important it is to research your Plastic Surgeon before having surgery…In other words, I learned that WHO is doing your surgery is more important than the machine they use to do it…Unfortunately, I learned the hard way.

In my search for a slimmer silhouette, and as a result of these advertisements, I ended up on the doorstep of Isis Cosmetics. I nervously attended my initial consultation, where the “provider” convinced me that the SmartLipo machine worked magic, taking the guesswork out of the doctor’s hands. In other words, that with this machine in use, it did not matter who did my surgery.

My gut instinct told me to walk away- but despite my reservations, because I was so excited at the thought of a newfound shape, I decided to proceed with surgery.

One week after my procedure, I was hoping to be able to see a hint of my promised “amazing results” but instead noticed quite a bit of unevenness. The doctor recommended some additional liposuction to “smooth out” the lumps in my outer thighs. Blindly trusting his so called “expertise”, I agreed to it and had more liposuction that day (in the same areas that were still very swollen and bruised).  I later learned this was probably not the best thing to do, but I simply didn’t know better at the time.

After this second surgery, it became more and more clear to me that I had just made a serious mistake. I began to develop a serious skin infection - that would eventually take weeks to heal. 

Three months went by and I was still extremely unhappy with my results and the skin infection I endured. I finally worked up the courage to speak up and pay Isis Cosmetics another visit - in desperate hopes to remedy my very bumpy outer thighs that resembled “shark bites” caused by excessive and poorly performed liposuction.  

To my surprise, I found out that the doctor had conveniently “relocated” to Tampa. A new doctor, claiming that he was an expert in SmartLipo saw me immediately and offered to do a revision surgery on me FOR FREE! He repeatedly assured me that he could make my legs look better. So… out of serious desperation and pure embarrassment, I agreed.

After three “Smart” Lipo procedures on my legs, I looked like a large animal had EATEN and MANGLED my outer thighs. 

There was nothing left between my skin and muscle, and I had chronic pain and numbness in my legs. I was mortified to wear shorts or a bathing suit. I felt great shame and was mortified that this had happened to me. So, instead of speaking out, I hid my experience from everyone.

What I did not know was that these aesthetic “providers” performing liposuction were not Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. In fact, they were gynecologists that had spent a few days at a weekend retreat being trained by the SmartLipo sales representatives. The doctors had been dishonest, deceitful and performed outside their medical training.
Isis’s and the Smartlipo company’s alluring marketing tactics had distracted me from asking WHO was actually doing my surgery, and tricked me into thinking it didn’t matter, as long as they were using the right machine...

One year after this nightmare started, I sought out Dr. Armando Soto, a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to examine my legs. 

He recommended a procedure that would camouflage the over-liposuctioned and scarred areas. I felt very confident in Dr. Soto’s extensive training, credentials and honesty about my anticipated outcome. Dr. Soto’s operation greatly improved the contour of my outer thighs and I am able to wear shorts again without worrying about people noticing my “shark bites.” But I have not completely healed psychologically…

Not a day passes that I don’t think about my nightmare experience. I wish I had done my research, listened to my gut, been my own advocate, and spoken up when I was injured.

I’ve learned that Plastic Surgery CAN be a wonderful solution to meet your aesthetic goals…IF you do your research. Before having any procedure, it is important to make sure your doctor is Board Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and has received the years of training in body contouring these professionals get- not just a few weeks or even days. My only hope is that the telling of my story will prevent other women from having the same experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment