Friday, September 10, 2010

Now Dems Some Good Eats !


In the years I've been in this small town I've eaten some pretty strange stuff.
The past week I delivered food from local cafes to the elderly women I check in on.
One had requested a combination platter of turkey necks, ox tails, okra  and rice, corn bread and a small sweet potato pie with a lottery ticket.
To me, this dish sounded awful - but as for her, she was in hog heaven.
As an offer of hospitality, the woman pulled out from her roach infested cupboard a huge jar with bright pink things floating in it.
The jar read, "Pickled Pig Lips".
"Do you want a snack?", the woman asked.
"No, thank you.", I replied.
(But really, "OH, HELL NO!!!.", is what I was thinking.)
Man... some people in the South just love dem some scraps.

No comments:

Post a Comment