Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lemonade In Winter

I have some young cousins who don't seem to be doing well in school or at keeping jobs.
So what's to be done?
Create their own business.

I had a concept of a kiosk at the local mall that would enable them to set their own hours and work for themselves.
But before doing this - I set them to task.

The idea was to sell lemonade (bottled water, pecan candy, soda, ...) to passers by from their local university's sporting events.
I obtained the requisite vendor's permits and licences and provided their initial product line.
But the weather has been cold.
Who wants lemonade on a cold day?

After two days (at only a couple hours each day) the boys gave up.
But as my favored little niece was riding with me she offered a suggestion to these young men.
"Why don't you sell hot chocolate instead", she said.
But at this point, the boys were too embarrassed by their failure to continue.
As I watched, this little girl set up shop.
My niece sold out of her hot coco and the rest of the items in very little time.

Upon counting the younger child's profits the boys declared that they wanted their business back.
But this was only a test.
I knew lemonade wouldn't sell on a cold day.
I just wanted to know whether these boys could improvise (They cannot).
I wanted to see if they could think for themselves and not just follow orders.
Too bad my niece is too young to run a kiosk at the mall - the girl would make a killing.

No comments:

Post a Comment