Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Photo



Jose Vargas: Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, filmmaker, undocumented immigrant.:
I’ve tried. Over the past 14 years, I’ve graduated from high school and college and built a career as a journalist, interviewing some of the most famous people in the country. On the surface, I’ve created a good life. I’ve lived the American dream.
But I am still an undocumented immigrant. And that means living a different kind of reality. It means going about my day in fear of being found out. It means rarely trusting people, even those closest to me, with who I really am. It means keeping my family photos in a shoebox rather than displaying them on shelves in my home, so friends don’t ask about them. It means reluctantly, even painfully, doing things I know are wrong and unlawful. And it has meant relying on a sort of 21st-century underground railroad of supporters, people who took an interest in my future and took risks for me.

Pulitzer Prize winner Jose Antonio Vargas talks about his life, growing up as an undocumented immigrant and learning to live with it.

My heart’s still lodged somewhere between my throat and the pit of my stomach. We need to fix this country.

“Justice will be served

No comments:

Post a Comment